Medical Devices Animal Models
Medical Devices Animal Model Services
Pharmaron’s nonclinical models include in vivo and ex vivo options for implantable devices. Our team provides support for medical device implantation in vivo for acute and chronic evaluation. We support a multitude of clinically relevant disease states and surgical models within our fully accredited facilities.
We have access to board-certified pathologists with the option for onsite pathology support and onsite support from attending veterinarians to ensure studies are conducted in compliance with all applicable animal welfare guidelines and regulations. All animal studies are performed at facilities that are AAALAC-accredited and GLP-compliant. We have experience with multiple test species plus ocular disease models including glaucoma, AMD, KCS, CNV.
- Pigs/mini-pigs (Yorkshire, Gottingen, Yucatan)
Vascular Device Testing (Cardiovascular, Neurovascular)
- Implantable medical devices: acute or long-term implantation surgeries in porcine or ovine models
- Acute cardiovascular injury models: vascular surgeries, e.g. thrombectomy & vessel cauterization
- Cardiovascular disease states: Systemic and localized cardiovascular disease states
- Modalities for cardiovascular evaluation: fluoroscopy, imagine (C-Arm), ultrasound, intra-cardiac echocardiography, transthoracic echocardiogram
- Disease models: aneurysm, myocardial infarct, deep vein thrombosis
Ocular Device Testing
- Preclinical studies from POC to establish disease models to IND-enabling GLP-tox and safety studies using models with multiple disease states
- Ocular devices range from common daily-use items to novel orbital implants, pumps and drug-delivery devices for treatment of chronic conditions
- Imagine modalities for anterior/posterior evals: slit lamp biomicroscopy, gonioscopy, ocular coherence tomography, fundus imaging, electroretinography
- Disease models: glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, cataract, corneal defects, dry eye, AMD
Metabolic Disease Testing and Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Continous glucose monitoring
- HFD/STZ-induced experimental diabetes
- Experimental models
- Wound healing (acute and chronic models)
- Diabetic retinopathy
Learn more about why in vivo testing is needed for regulatory approval of a Medical Device and what specific testing is required.